so, it's true what i've been told numerous times in the last 13 months...every stage is better than the one before. it took me a while to believe it, but now that i've experienced so many stages with my bud, i grudgingly admit it's true.
not that i'm happy about how quickly he's progressing through all the stages. :)
it's been almost a week since he turned 13 months old, and things have changed even in that time, so i wanted to jot down a few things before i forgot them.
my bud at 13 months -
- is a babbling machine! some of his discernible words: 'dadeeee', 'oh', 'wow', 'hi'. he definitely has his repertoire of sounds he goes through when he's on a babbling kick. he looks at me like i should understand what he's saying, so he's obviously trying to communicate; he's not just experimenting with sounds. my favorite is when he sees something he likes and says 'oh, wow', eyes and mouth big. this most often happens when he sees the garage door opening and closing.
- is teething like crazy. does this ever end?? the sound of him grinding his teeth is worse than nails on a chalkboard. it's just not fun being a baby sometimes.
- is walking! it's been a very gradual process over the last month or so, and i would consider him an almost steady walker. in the comfort of our home, where he's barefoot most of the time (which is better for his foot/leg development from what i've read), he cruises through the entire house. but if he's wearing socks/mocassins out and about, he's much more apt to get back to crawling as soon as he feels unsteady. he doesn't wear actual shoes yet, but i've been researching shoes for new walkers because it's probably time.
- waves hi and good-bye. i've been working with him on this, so it was exciting to see him wave good-bye to daddy the other morning.
- has started saying 'nuh' which is his version of 'no' while shaking his head 'no'. he uses it in the correct context too, which is usually when he doesn't want to eat something placed in front of him. i have no idea where he picked it up since i've tried hard not to use 'no' around him for this very reason. i wonder if he's heard us say 'no' to zoe, our dog.
- LOVES staring at his reflection in the mirror. there's one on the backseat of the car so i can see him in my rear-view mirror, and every time i put him in his carseat, he gives himself a huge toothy smile, complete with side tilt of the head.
- holds out arms and legs to be dressed. also, if he has something in one hand, he transfers it to the other when it's time to dress that arm. yep, he's a genius, haha!
- has inconsistent nap times. i think we're going through a transition, because in the last few days, he's been waking up at 6am (when i nurse him), but instead of being up for the day at that point, i've been putting him back down, and he's gone back to sleep until 8 or 8:30 (yipeeeee!). on those days, he ends up taking an afternoon nap around 12:30 and sleeping for about 2 1/2 hours. i think this may be our new schedule...we'll see. i think i prefer this because not only do i get to sleep in a bit longer (if i can get back to sleep), but with one nap instead of two, we can actually get out of the house more/do more.
- favorite playthings: balls (rolling them, throwing them, even through a basket ball hoop, placing them in boxes or baskets, etc.), wheels (on anything and everything), stackign cups and boxes, knocking down towers of boxes or blocks i build for him, grocery carts, play kitchens, etc.
- needs a lot of entertaining, especially at home, where his toys are old news. therefore, we try to get out for play-dates or just a change of scenery every day. helps him get his energy out and it keeps me sane. :)
- gives lots of snuggles right before bedtime. has also started giving kisses. seriously, it doesn't get any better than this.
AND...my freak-out moment of the week: i ran to see what he had in his mouth, only to discover a HUGE ANT. i should have kept my cool, but i totally freaked out. YUCK, YUCK, YUCK!!
some pictures i took about a month ago when i did his one year photo shoot
and my absolute favorite