Saturday, September 15, 2012

a birthday hike

i love surprises.

yesterday was my birthday.

i especially love surprises on my birthday.

since my birthday fell on a friday AND because we had a wedding to attend later in the day, i wasn't expecting to celebrate my birthday with the hubs & baby r until the weekend.  but my hubs got up early, got all his work done, took the rest of the day off AND managed to surprise me with the following:

flowers, a gift and a DONUT.  he knows the way to my heart is thru deep-fried, chocolate glazed goodness! 


a hike in the gorge.  it was the first hike we'd taken this summer, and definitely the first one with our bud.  the hubs did some research and found a great hike for us.  not too long, a beautiful waterfall, and not very crowded.  best of all, bud LOVED every second of it.  so much for him to look at all around, he was a happy little camper, which in turn made us happy campers.  he did so well, i regret we didn't attempt hikes earlier this summer.

i didn't realize how much i'd missed going for hikes until yesterday.  being out in the fresh air and surrounded by such beauty made me feel so ALIVE and definitely motivated me to start working out again.  too bad the gorge isn't closer because i would much rather hike every day (even in the rain) before i ever set foot on another treadmill or went for another run.

{setting out}

{all loaded up in the backpack.  he may have been a little over-dressed, but i wasn't taking any chances of him catching a cold!} 

{our attempt at a family photo - our reflection in the dirty car window} 



{gorgeous hike thru the forest} 

{thick moss covered this tree - stunning in person} 

 {coming up to elowah falls}

 {the pool at the bottom of the waterfall would be a great swimming hole in warmer weather}

 {the rock walls completely enveloped us}





{our happy bud} 

{another attempt at a family photo} 






AND after our hike, we ended with a late lunch at skamania lodge, one of our favorite places

{the view from our outdoor table}

{the bud!}


{and i end this post, the way i started it...with food!}



oh, and a couple of videos from our day...unfortunately, my fav video was too long to post to this blog.

video

video

video

1 comment:

Kami said...

I am so glad you had such a special day! I thought about you all day and totally forgot to pass on my birthday wishes!