Wednesday, June 27, 2012

my bud at 5 1/2 months


time passes at warp speed when you have a baby...so cliche, but so true!

how my bud is already 5 1/2 months old, i don't know.

he loves
sticking out his tongue
smacking his tongue against his lips, making a kissing sound
holding onto his feet (although they haven't made into his mouth yet)
squealing AT THE TOP OF HIS LUNGS when happy and after he wakes up...and sometimes just because
opening his mouth wide for kisses - ahhhh, this just melts me
hand-snacking, sometimes just his thumb, sometimes most of his hand
tugging at his ears, especially his right one
DROOLING - this is an understatement!  he soaks thru 4-5 bibs day
flipping over onto his stomach as soon as he's set down (but still can't flip back)
giggling when mama makes funny or 'i'm gonna get you' faces at him
belly-laughing when he gets tickled under his arms or chunky thighs
trying to sit up although he can't do this unassisted yet
being naked and becomes the biggest squirmy worm every time his diaper gets changed
grabbing onto whatever he can get his hands on, including mama's hair if it's within reach
sizing strangers up before deciding if he's going to smile at them or not
kicking his legs and arms, and he's strong!
trying to hold onto his bottle
kicking his legs and punching his arms about, especially when he's being fed


what i love (and don't ever want to forget)
the way he smiles really big when i go get him in the morning or after a nap
the way he anticipates kisses and closes his eyes, scrunches up his face and opens his mouth wide for them
the way he laughs when i kiss his neck
the way that once he's laughing he can't stop and almost anything, even a look, will keep him going
the way he sometimes holds my hand when he eats
the way he knows me - my face, my voice -  and responds instantaneously
the way he points his toes when held standing up
the way he 'sings' himself to sleep in the car and sometimes at night
the way he tries to sneak a thumb while he's nursing
the twinkle in his eye when he's being playful
his sad face, which is also his funniest face
the way he can't decide between being sad and happy when he's put down for the night, so he alternates between his sad face and smiling and crying...and it's one of the funniest things he does
the way his face lights up when he sees his bottle; and the way he screams if it isn't placed in his mouth RIGHT AWAY!

he's no longer crazy about
his swing
his mobile
reading on his back
being on his back, period.
sleeping thru the night
sleeping in the car
toys that he's seen one too many times; BORING, mama!


challenges
changing sleep patterns - i'm not into hyper-scheduling, but i do believe it's important to have somewhat of a routine for the baby's sake.  the current routine that he's established for himself is a nap around 10am and another around 2.  the naps range anywhere from 1- 2 hours long.  we also started a bedtime routine between 7-8pm, which he took to right away.  the only problem (for me) is that he now wakes up twice in the middle of the night (around midnight and again around 4am) and then he's up for the day around 6:30 or 7am.  i can't wait for the days when he'll actually sleep all the way thru the night.  to get an uninterrupted night of sleep seems like such a luxury!!  


i'm also still trying to figure out how other moms with babies this age get out of the house for extended periods of time??  if i need to get out for errands i do it between his naps, but we're always rushing back home for his next nap because he no longer sleeps in the car/carseat very long or well.  so for those moms that try to keep their babies on their normal nap schedule, do you sometimes feel confined to your home??  i don't really see an alternative except  having him sleep in 10-30 minute increments while we're out and about, which obviously doesn't provide him with the good sleep i know he needs.  and i strongly believe one of the reasons he is such a happy and contented baby is because he gets good rest.  


my bud and his newest *toy* - purchased off craigslist for $20 yesterday (from a lady with EIGHT children, the youngest 3 days younger than my bud) - i love me a good deal, and i think it's safe to say he loves it too!  :)





3 comments:

bobicrisan.com said...

aww… your sweetie pie reminds me so much of mine. He is so precious Tabi. I can so concur with you on so many aspects of your experiences as a mom.
I find that for me it is best to keep the boys on their nap schedule because it keeps them content and happy. I've experienced a few frazzled days when I didn't keep to their schedule and neither one of us enjoyed the experiences.
I try to work it out. Usually I can't get away for more than 3 hours at a time with them but by then I am tired too and more than happy to get home. But the silver lining is that they won't always nap for so long and that often so you'll be able to get out more. This season is short and when you need more time you can always call his grandma. ;)

bobicrisan.com said...

aww… your sweetie pie reminds me so much of mine. He is so precious Tabi. I can so concur with you on so many aspects of your experiences as a mom.
I find that for me it is best to keep the boys on their nap schedule because it keeps them content and happy. I've experienced a few frazzled days when I didn't keep to their schedule and neither one of us enjoyed the experiences.
I try to work it out. Usually I can't get away for more than 3 hours at a time with them but by then I am tired too and more than happy to get home. But the silver lining is that they won't always nap for so long and that often so you'll be able to get out more. This season is short and when you need more time you can always call his grandma. ;)

Naomi said...

I love when he sticks out his tongue. Such a cutie. He looks happy with his bright new toy. Love him....