Tuesday, November 29, 2011

40 days left!

sunday marked the start of my 34th week of pregnancy. 6 more weeks left to go, assuming my little guy makes his appearance right around his due date, jan 8th.

6 weeks sounds like a long time.

40 days does NOT!

overall my pregnancy has flown by. there were times in my first trimester when i felt like i had all the time in the world. 40 weeks seemed like SUCH a long stretch of time, and since i wasn't seeing many physical changes in my body, most day, it felt surreal that i had a amazing miracle baby growing inside of me. i had time to read novels, take baths, go for walks, catch up with friends and enjoy my time with hubs and zoe-girl. i don't remember being in a big frenzy to 'do' baby stuff.

i'm not sure what happened to the 2nd trimester - i was increasingly busy in my new role at work, which translated into less time at home in the evenings to start focusing on baby 'stuff'. the reality of how much had to be done and figured out finally hit with a vengeance, and it hasn't let up since. i'm a planner, organizer, list-maker and researcher by nature, and enjoy all those things. but trying to 'figure it out' when it comes to getting ready for a baby is by far the most challenged i've ever felt. i know the moms out there are thinking, 'just wait till baby comes - that's challenging!!' :) i also know most first-time moms experience this need to make sure they've researched every baby product to death and determined which are best for their baby. i'm fortunate enough to have many friends and sisters who are moms, many for the 2nd, 3rd or even 6th time (!!!), and their advice has been invaluable. but everyone has their own opinions based on what worked for them. so in the end, you take in all the advice, but still have to make your own decisions.

the 3rd trimester thus far has unfolded the way most people told me it would. physically, i'm heavier than i've ever been before, and i'm starting to feel it. i've never experienced hip or knee pain before, but that's been happening off and on for the last couple of weeks. the inability to do something simple like tie my own shoes, and the effort it takes to get on/off the couch or bed still surprises me. it's hard to imagine until you've experienced it, but suddenly, my body is no longer my own. the physical changes are happening quickly now, and at least once a week i have someone tell me how much bigger i've gotten since the last time they saw me. :)

along with the physical changes and most likely because of them, fatigue has set in again.  not with the same coma-like intensity i experienced in my first trimester, but more of a bone-tired weariness brought on by lack of good sleep and my body working really hard to get my little man ready.

i've started dreaming about baby boy, about holding him in my arms. a few nights ago i dreamt he had dark hair on top and blond on the sides and in the back.  from a feature perspective, the amount of hair and his hair color is what i'm most curious about.  i would love for him to have blond hair and blue eyes just like his daddy, but reid thinks his features will more closely resemble mine.  no wonder i'm dreaming about it!

although we're in the home stretch and things still aren't as 'figured out' as i would like them to be, i feel ready for baby's arrival. i am ready to see him, to kiss 10 finger and 10 toes, to tell him how much we love him and to smell his intoxicating baby smell.  many have told me i'll miss him moving inside of me, and i know that will be the case. in pregnancy, there's nothing that can compare to the closeness i've felt to him when he's moving around, even when it wakes me up at night. he's an active little monkey, and i wouldn't have it any other way.


baby boy at 34 weeks -

  • ~ 4 3/4 lbs, the size of a cantaloupe
  • 18 inches long
  • his fat layers are filling out, making him rounder
  • his central nervous system and lungs are continuing to mature

3 comments:

Naomi said...

Only 40 days....I can't wait to see him. Which reminds me, I am behind on the handmade baby gifts. First I need to get Jen's made for Audrey and then yours. So maybe by February.....OK.:D

hilldalehouse said...

lol, i love your dream about his hair being two colors :) and hey, blue eyes arent out of the question! there are alot of blue eyes on mom's side!
Can't wait to meet our little one :)

Bobi said...

boy I think you summarized pregnancy so well. There's nothing like it and def. nothing like that last couple of months. Just like you said every week seems harder than the last physically speaking. Only a few more days till you will be holding your very own baby boy. I am so excited to hear about your experience and so happy we are sharing some of the same things so close together. Love you dearly Tab. Praying the time goes by as quickly as you desire.