Thursday, March 17, 2011

my inner dancer wants to zumba

I DON'T DANCE.

i don't have rhythm.

the thought of attempting to dance in front of people really stresses me out.  it SCARES me.  my heart starts racing just thinking of it.

maybe it's because dancing or anything resembling it was heavily frowned up in our house due to religious reasons.

maybe it's because i'm much too self-conscious to be able to let loose long enough to see if i might actually have some rhythm.

whatever the reason, i long ago came to terms with the fact that dancing was not my thing - i would never be a dancer, even a closeted dancer.

watching 'so you think you can dance' is the closest i figured i would ever come to enjoying dance.

that all changed today. 

today i was persuaded by a sister to try a Zumba class.

Zumba, which is defined as "an exhilarating, effective, easy-to-follow, Latin-inspired, calorie-burning dance fitness-party™ that’s moving millions of people toward joy and health" isn't something i would EVER have tried on my own.

i came up with a million excuses to skip class, and came this close to bailing on my sister.

but i didn't (purely out of guilt,) and instead joined about 40 other women at 'hip chicks do zumba' for an hour.

where to begin???

it was loud, it was fast, and it was very obvious i had no idea what i was doing! 

i could not keep up.

my booty did NOT know how to shake.

my hips definitely lied.

BUT...

it was the fastest hour i've ever experienced.

it was one of the funnest things i've ever tried.

and best of all, it's the funnest way i've ever discovered to burn calories.


toward the end, i could ever so slightly feel my hips begin to take on a life of their own.

they want to move.

they want to shake. 

they want to dance, darn it!


i know without a doubt i'll go back. 

it's the kind of thing for which i'm willing to make a fool of myself.

if 70 year old women can learn to zumba, surely i can!

i'm determined to find my inner dancer if it kills me.   :)



Mama's Losin' It

6 comments:

Leegee Lou said...

good for you sis! I too am a dancer stuck in a klutz's body! I have yet to try zumba, you guys have inspired me... i'm always ready for something new!

Kami said...

How fun! I will have to try it...

Jane George said...

oh my goodness, you have made me want to stop eating this custard cream i have in my hand and get fit! lovely. jane x

Bobi said...

oh my goodness…. how fun I actually watched the video on the zumba class website and that looks like a lot of fun. Maybe someday I'll get the guts up to join you. I know it will def be more fun trying something like this with a friend you can turn to for moral support or to laugh along with you… hehe :)

jgorger said...

Good for you for stepping out of your comfort zone and finding something so fantastic (and embracing the funniness of it)! I love it! We should all be inspired to try something new!

Jenna said...

I love zumba. i havent found a local class I like, but when I visit my parents out of state, I go with some of my high school girlfriends and really love their instructor! glad to linked up to mamakats!