Thursday, January 6, 2011

burn, baby, burn!

at least that's what those calories better be doing!

today i stepped on a treadmill for the first time in over 6 months.  i realized i no longer had any good excuses not to go.  today i had the time and, for a short window of time, the motivation to hit the gym again, so off i went.

honestly, i was pleasantly surprised that my body remembered how to put one foot in front of the other in a rapid motion, and while my pace was much slower than before, i surprised myself by running almost 1.5 miles continuously.  i walked the rest of the time, but that 1.5 mile was huge for me!  sure, some of my toes cramped up while i was running (never had that happen before!) but the fact that i got above a speed-walk was just the boost of motivation i needed to return.  at least that's what i hope will happen.

_______________________

had a realization today - not rocket science by any means, and one i've had many times before, but i realize how much easier it is (for me, anyway) to tend to focus on the negatives rather than the positives in my life. 

i've decided to make a more conscious effort to identify those things i'm grateful for or which bring a *sparkle* to my day, each day.  i'll just tack those things on to the end of my posts. 


here's today's list:


  • the salad my hubby made for my lunch today - better than i ever would have made for myself!
  • the christmas lights still up in the neighborhood - i choose to believe those homeowners still feel the christmas spirit, not that they're lazy.  :) 
  • a light commute on i-5 heading home today - what a nice treat on a thursday
  • and that i actually made it to the gym after a VERY long hiatus - feels so good!
and because i can't resist, here's a christmas picture of my pups that i never got around to posting

1 comment:

Naomi said...

Yay, good for you getting back to the gym. I'm more excited to find out how the 17 day diet is going.

Zoe is adorable all dressed for the holidays.