Wednesday, September 1, 2010

discovering sushi!

i had sushi for lunch yesterday
a few hours later, i had sushi for dinner

i’m discovering that i REALLY like sushi, something that held zero appeal for me a few months ago is becoming my new favorite.

i never understood the popularity of sushi and how just about everyone i know seems to be gaga for sushi. the idea of consuming raw fish and other critters that reside in bodies of water AND enjoying it was pretty much beyond my comprehension. i believe i have a fairly adventurous palette, but when i could be feasting on a cuisine that features such masterpieces as Pad Khee Mao or Panaeng Curry, why would i work hard at trying to like sushi??

well, a new sushi place opened up near our house a few months ago, and one recent evening when the hubby and i couldn’t decide on a dinner place (nothing new for us!), we decided to try the sushi place, thinking 'how bad can it be?!'

turns out, not bad at all!! yes, we totally felt like big dorks, not knowing what to pick up off the turnstile (?) and fumbling with our chopsticks (me more than him), because forks are NOT provided, but aside from a couple of weird looks we received from our server, we made it out excited to have survived our first sushi experience together! not only did we survive, but we had raw fish for the first time (salmon and tuna)…and again, it wasn’t half bad! in fact, it was pretty tasty!

next order of business – trying out new sushi places.

let me know if you have any sushi restaurant recommendations in the Portland, OR/Vancouver, WA area!




5 comments:

Naomi said...

I got into sushi back in college and am hooked now. I'm sure the sushi is fresher in Portland.

Kami said...

Ew. I can't do it. I'll live vicariously through you!

Hungry Girl said...

welcome fellow sushi lover! when i first tasted sushi (1 1/2 yrs ago) I just remember being mad that I hadn't tried it earlier and that I had wasted all those years without it! but i've since made up for it :) Not as good as Thai food, but a solid 2nd!

Bobi said...

oh I can't wait to finish with this diet so we can do sushi together. I love it too. I agree with hungry girl good Sushi is 2nd only to Thai.

Bobi said...

There's a great sushi place but it's happy valley I don't know what the restaurant is called but I could take you someday.