Sunday, August 29, 2010
Apple Cinnamon Cake
2 cups flour, sifted
3 t cinnamon
2 t baking soda
1 t salt
1/2 cup oil (can use 1/4 cup oil, 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce)
3 t vanilla
2 cups sugar
4 cups apples - about 3 apples - (peeled and diced) - i used Gala apples, but Rome, Jonagold, Gravenstein or Braeburn would also work
1. Mix first 4 (dry) ingredients together in a bowl
2. In a separate bowl, add oil, vanilla and eggs. Use a folk or whisk to mix until eggs are beat
3. Add sugar and mix with a spoon
4. Add apples and stir until coated
5. Add dry ingredients to the apple mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until completely incorporated. NOTE - it's normal for mixture to be very dry and difficult to mix. Don't add any more liquid at this point.
6. Spread cake mixture into a greased (I used butter and flour) 9x13 pan
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes (my over tends to run hot, so I baked at 335 degrees for 60 minutes.)
8. Let cool for 10-15 min. before cutting cake
Friday, August 27, 2010
Of course I realize that something you buy box in a 12pk box for $1.09 can't possibly be good for me, but I've managed to keep myself ignorant of what these tasty little treat are actually made of...until today, that is!
The below article breaks down the ingredient list for Twinkies - which can't be that far off from that of Swiss Rolls - complete with pictures. SCARY to say the least!! No longer can I plead ignorance. Knowing that ingredients such as calcium sulfate, a food-grade equivalent of plaster of Paris, make up these tasty treats, is enough to scare me into completely banning them from my diet...for this week, anway!