Thursday, April 8, 2010

swim lessons

yesterday was a historic day.

yesterday i took my first swim lesson...as a 30 year old.

i dreaded yesterday.

i dreaded the chlorine.

i dreaded being cold in the pool.

i dreaded the swim cap and goggles.

i dreaded feeling too old to be learning to swim while little children were taking lessons all around me.


but now that it's all said and done, i must admit, i didn't hate it as much as i thought i would. it helps that it it was an adult beginner swim class. i mean, can you imagine learning to swim with a bunch of 5 year-olds who take to the water like fish?

it also helped that there were only 2 of us in the class, so there was much opportunity for the instructor to tell me things like "you need to keep you legs straight, not bent at the knees when you kick" and "you keep looking forward when you should just look to the side, breathe and then stick that face back in the water."

overall, i feel a sense of accomplishment, mainly because i finally took the first step in learning to properly swim. i always considered myself as knowing how to swim because i could hold my own in a pool...and if nothing else, i could float. it wasn't until a very close call in the ocean on our el salvador trip that i realized learning to swim is not a hobby or an option; it's a matter of safety and one that could potentially save my life or that of someone i love dearly in the future.

plus, i really want to be able to go snorkeling when we go to maui in a few weeks...


this could have been me...

but instead, this is what we've got, folks!

2 comments:

~**Dawn**~ said...

Woohoo! Awesome for you! Sometimes we just have to force ourselves out of our comfort zones to realize "hey this wasn't as awful as I feared, so why did I wait so long...?" =)

~*Beth Durden*~ said...

That would be AWESOME!! I would love it if you made cupcakes! Cool let's talk details when the time gets closer. Yum I love cupcakes. Have you been to Cupcake Jones in NW?