Friday, January 1, 2010

A new year, a new decade

Happy New Year!

While I'm in shock (and maybe a little denial) that we are officially in 2010, I'm trying hard not to dwell on how quickly 2009 passed and instead enter the new year, new decade with optimism and a determination to fill each day with quality and substance.

To help me on my journey, I figured it was time to evaluate the progress made on my "30" list, originally posted here. This will be my first time looking at the list since initially posting it...

Those items on the list that I've completed are highlighted in blue below.
Those items in progress are highlighted in orange below.
Those comments I felt compelled to add are highlighted in green below.

****************************************
1. Visit a water park, preferably one of these
2. Learn to make a killer risotto
3. Get my spiritual life back in shape; regular time in the Word and prayer, both lacking of late
4. Bake my first pie, beginning with Sue's delish apple pie and then moving on to berries
5. Stop procrastinating, or at least curb the procrastination. I've learned I primarily hurt myself when I do this
6. Take a kite boarding lesson in Hood River
7. Finally compile all my Europe pics from 9 years ago, all 3 months worth
8. Begin creating a Heler Family Romanian cookbook, a dream of mine for a while now
9. Read a biography or auto-biography (contenders: Billy Graham, Mother Teresa, The Bronte Myth, C.S. Lewis, Abraham Lincoln) - i really tried on this one. i know i have the Billy Graham auto-biography somewhere in the house, just couldn't find it the one day I was actually motivated to begin reading it...
10. SLOOOOOW down, aka, take time to smell the roses. I seem to have an especially difficult time with this because there's always more to be done...problem is, the to-do lists never end and meanwhile, I'm afraid I'm missing out on what life's all about.
11. Take a Willamette River kayak tour using them
12. Attend my first opera
13. Become more confident in my decisions
14. Visit a National Park, maybe this one next
15. Travel to a foreign country (Thailand, you're at the top of my list!) El Salvador was definitely one of the highlights of 2009!
16. Take a cooking class, either here or here
17. Find a place to go para-gliding and go!
18. Ditto for zip-lining
19. Choose to be happy, one day at a time
20. Spend more time with Grandma Carlson
21. Take a bona-fide photography class
22. Visit an orchard and pick apples, preferably in the Hood River "Fruit Loop"
23. Discover new hikes in the beautiful Columbia Gorge
24. Stop comparing myself to others. Not in the materialistic sense, but in ways that make me less confident about the gifts and talents I've been given.
25. Watch all movies based on Jane Austen novels, preferably Masterpiece Theater style
26. Grow a garden, however small, especially one with tomatoes, because there's really nothing like biting into a tomato off the vine
27. Continue diving into the world of Sushi and finally learn to use chopsticks
28. Learn the ins and outs of my first SLR, my 30th b-day gift from the hubby, and the first serious step into my very real passion for photography
29. Take my cupcake baking to the next level...not sure what this means yet, but it'll be exciting!
30. Make a photo book and give as a gift - I made 3 of these as Christmas presents and have finally come to terms that I am not and will never be a scrapbooker; i do however LOVE making photo books, for me the ultimate scrapbooks!
***************************************

Well, there's not much blue, is there? As I reviewed the list it dawned on me that some of these may not happen before my 31st b-day, and that's OK. I'm not even sure all would be included on the list if I was to make it today, but I guess that's the difference a few months makes. Those items that are completed will likely give the best insight into my true priorities and passions.

And while I no longer make New Year's resolutions, I can say that in the new year I hope to continue to nurture the friendships I've been blessed with, spend more time with family, and continue developing my passion and education around photography.

No comments: