Thursday, November 19, 2009

now i REALLY feel old!

i feel like i've adequately come to terms with the fact that i turned 30; i've hardly allowed myself any griping, and hardly any derogatory mention of it has passed my lips since the blessed event took place 3 months ago. in fact, i have been proud of myself for not dwelling on the fact (more than is reasonable and expected, of course.) in fact, most days i forget i'm in my "fabulous 30's," because, really, i don't FEEL different, act different, dress different, have different friends or tastes...

HOWEVER, it certainly does NOT help matters when i hear certain comments like the one on the radio this morning. the show's female co-host had a chance to pre-screen "New Moon," the new Twilight movie coming out tomorrow, and was explaining the crowd's reaction to the movie, which in her opinion was all sorts of positive. well, she could have left her assessment of the movie and reaction to it at that, but she then proceeded to say, and i paraphrase,

"there were even two 30 year old women there who really enjoyed the movie."


it took a second for her comment to register, but when it did, i was outraged and took great offense indeed! well, first i was speechless because i realized she may as well have been talking about me! there was no alternative way to interpret her comment; it meant that while it makes sense "New Moon" would appeal to the young teeny-boppers, even old fogies like the two 30 year old women in the audience could enjoy it...

uuugh, maybe i'm overreacting, but I DON'T THINK SO! maybe it wouldn't have hit home so hard if i wasn't a newly converted twilight fan (just finished reading "New Moon" last week,) and quite excited about the movie coming out. in fact, a dear friend and i have plans to watch the movie this weekend (yes, opening weekend) and the anticipation has been building...SURELY, we won't be the only 30 year olds sitting in the theater, but if we are, so be it! :)

5 comments:

delightfullysweet said...

I know how you feel!
I am 32 and will be seeing the movie this weekend. I work in a doctors office and I can't tell you how many women (even grandmothers) I see reading these books!

Be proud!

jgorger said...

That is so funny. You are such a young thing! 30 is the new 16! I can relate though I suddenly felt my age the other day when I went to Nordstrom to get my new UGG's "jeweled" and I was the ONLY adult doing it and everyone else was a pre-teen or teenager....I say, have fun and enjoy everything in life that you want. Who care's how old we are! I have cooler UGG's now...even if I look like a teenager wearging them. :)

Kami said...

Welcome to the Twilight club for thirty year olds!! LOL.

erin said...

Haha. Don't take it to heart. There are plenty of thirty-somethings that enjoy Twilight. I have found thirty to be a wonderful age. Do what you like and let the nay-sayers roll off your back!

Eryn said...

I agree. Most of the Twilight fans know are in thier 30's including me! I went to the midnight premier, even though my hubby thought it was ridiculous!