Friday, October 16, 2009

Rules According to Mackenzie

Last weekend I baby-sat my 3 nieces for 3 full days. ALONE. It was a weekend full of adventures to say the least, the biggest challenge being how to keep three girls under the age of 4 (4-almost 5, 3 and 1) constantly entertained inside the home (I was not about to attempt to take them out in public b/c even I know I can't run in three directions at once!) Also, I sincerely hoped that the more energy burned would translate to longer nap times and seamless nights.

So, we had Abba dance parties, baked cupcakes of random sizes with altogether too much frosting, raced the length of the backyard more times than I can count (there was a certain fascination around "READY, SET, GO!" that never got old for them,) picked tomatoes out of the garden, swung on the jungle gym till my arms gave out, and had silly conversations.

One such impromptu conversation came from Mackenzie (4 going on 5) as she began to tell me the "Rules of the House."
  1. Your hands always have germs on them (I think my constant reminder to cover her sneezes with her elbow sunk in over the course of the weekend.)
  2. Listen to God
  3. Always keep your toys safe (didn't realize that was a problem in their house.)
  4. Always keep your house clean and safe

It was one of the most exhausting 3 days I've ever had, I'm not going to lie, but it was filled with many moments where my heart overflowed and I was reminded of how blessed I am to be an aunt to three of the sweetest, spunkiest and insanely adorable nieces.

It also gave me a new found respect and admiration for my sister and other moms like her who do this, day in, day out. And lastly, it gave me some much needed perspective for my own life. While I can't wait until the day where the crazy mommy life will be mine, there is much I have to appreciate about my life the way it is right now, and I intend to do a better job of remembering that!

****************************

FOOTNOTE #1: I was fortunate enough to get a couple of breaks during the 3 day period, first from my dear sis Jen and her hubby (when I was finally able to take a shower!) with who's help we took the girls down to the lake to feed the duckies and to McD's, b/c let's face it, it was only a mile down the road, it was easy, and the girls love playing on the jungle gym. Thanks, J&B for helping out a sista in need!! :)

Reid provided the second break when he brought Zoe and the movie "Hotel for Dogs" over. Zoe was a big hit, much bigger than the first time the girls met her. In fact, the remainder of the weekend, Mackenzie said things like "Tabi, when I'm big like you, I want a dog just like Zoe." Awww...

FOOTNOTE #2: The rest of the pictures can be viewed at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22394749@N06/sets/72157603941211382/ The pics in the set are in chronological order, so make sure to scroll to the bottom to see the most recent (these.)








5 comments:

Naomi said...

Oh, I miss them so much. I just want to squeeze those cheeks and shower them with kisses.

JennV said...

well I wouldn't say completely alone... ;)

Christine said...

ohmygosh I just started bawling after reading this and looking at the pictures....well first I laughed picturing everything, then bawled....cuz I miss them so much and am so sad I miss out on so much....sigh......good entry tabz....

Bobi said...

Tab thanks for this entry I loved it, especially the "house rules". I can't wait to hear the funny and crazy things my kids and your kids will say someday...

Angie Muresan said...

Oh, they are so adorable! Every house needs house rules, wouldn't you say? And I had no idea you had a blog as well. Love it!