Thursday, April 23, 2009

QUITTING

By nature, I am not a quitter, and I have often considered the act of quitting a weakness. It frustrates me to not finish something I’ve started, even if the benefit derived is no longer existent; usually just the feeling of accomplishment that accompanies finishing or continuing something I’ve started is enough of a reward. However, I have recently come to the much needed realization that IT’S OK TO BE A QUITTER!

I have many things in my life that began as fun and rewarding but have merely turned into items to cross off my to-do-list, chores, and huge time absorbers. Keeping up on Facebook and Project 365 (taking and posting a picture a day for a year) are just two small ones that come to mind. It’s been over a month since I’ve uploaded any Project 365 pictures and even longer since I’ve spent any quality time on Facebook. So I’ve made a decision. I am quitting both. Sure, not an earth shattering decision by anyone’s standards, including my own, but for me, a step in the right direction.

I once heard Dr. Laura discuss how our culture is obsessed with the idea of “balance” as if we could fit anything and everything into our life as long as we can figure out the art of “balancing” it all. In her opinion (and I strongly agree,) this idea of “balance” is a bunch of modern-day nonsense; there isn’t enough time, nor do we have enough energy in our lives to be able to do everything and do it well; therefore, life is/should be about choices and priorities. That means saying no to some things because you’re choosing to make something else a priority. For me this means admitting that I can’t do it all and instead re-evaluating what I spend my time on and making the proper adjustments; pruning, if you will. If that means being a quitter at times, then so be it! :)

3 comments:

figuring it out said...

good post. we all have to "readjust" in life sometime and our priorities change- totally acceptable! at church this past week they were talking about a similar topic (kind of) about staying away from temptation- specifically in marriage and straying from a spouse- and how it might be "rude" to ignore someone on facebook, etc., but, if that's what it takes to make something else a priority, who cares!! quitting in some things is positive because it gives way to a better change.... like blogging :)

jgorger said...

please dont quit blogging!

TabI said...

nope, blogging's here to stay! why do you think i had to cut other things out?? :)