Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April Fools!

So, was on my drive home today, listening to one of the talk shows I tune in to pass my commute time, and heard them discuss a new law that just passed in Oregon, one that bans women from driving SUV's beginning in October. They cited a news report from a few years ago when a woman in an SUV crashed and drove off one of Portland's bridges as being the catalyst for the new law; they also cited studies that female SUV drivers are disproportionately more likely to get into accidents than male SUV drivers.

I heard outraged men and women call in and voice their disgust and anger with the new law, and realized fairly quickly that I would be one of the affected ones since I am the owner and driver of an SUV. Granted, it's not one of the monster ones, but it would definitely count. I even called Reid to see if he had heard anything about it...it took him all of 3 seconds to assure me that it most definitely had to be an April Fools joke. Not only had I COMPLETELY forgotten today was April Fool's day, but this new "law" struck too close to home, so yeah, I was becoming slightly outraged! :) ALSO, those of us who live or have ever lived in Portland know that it's not too far-fetched to believe that the often-less-than-wise Portland politicians & lawmakers would be capable of devising such a law.
What can I say; they got me good! Not that I had any intention of giving up my SUV... :)

No comments: